REAL Software Ships REALbasic 2007 Release 4; Improves Performance of Database Applications, Adds Support for Ubuntu
AUSTIN, Texas, USA (September 10, 2007) — REAL Software, provider of REALbasic, Cross-Platform That Really Works, announced today that REALbasic 2007 Release 4 is available now. REALbasic 2007 Release 4 focuses on modernization and stability, with over 80 improvements and 9 new features including Ubuntu support, faster ODBC and faster database access.
REALbasic 2007 Release 4 includes the following new features:
- Ubuntu Support: Ubuntu version 6.06 and later is now officially supported. REALbasic 2007 Release 4 is now released as a deb package for easy installation on Ubuntu.
- Faster ODBC: The ODBC plug-in has been optimized to provide significantly faster performance.
- Faster Database Access: The REALbasic database API is now significantly faster when iterating through a recordset using the Field function. When combined with the new ODBC plug-in, customers have reported a 20x speed improvement in the performance of some database operations.
- Debugger Improvements: Debugger console applications have been enhanced by the addition of properties that simulate command line arguments. The debug application location may now be set by the developer.
- Delegates: New delegate datatype provides an abstract representation of a method, allowing variable implementation of a specific invocation.
"REALbasic has always had strong support for cross-platform connectivity," stated Jonathan Monroe, Managing Partner for Actual Technologies. "With the latest optimizations for ODBC, REALbasic applications now rival Visual Basic counterparts for fast data access."
"I have been testing the faster ODBC Plugin as I have been porting my database application from Visual Basic to REALbasic," stated Frederick Roller of F.W. Roller & Associates. "I am pleased to report that with the faster ODBC Plugin provided in REALbasic 2007 Release 4, my test code now runs 23 times faster than it did before. These updates make me confident in my decision to use REALbasic as my development platform."
The complete list of improvements and new features in REALbasic 2007 Release 4 can be found in the release notes in the product download, www.realsoftware.com/download.
About Actual Technologies
Actual Technologies develops software products and provides consulting services to integrate Mac OS X into the corporate IT enterprise. Its products include ODBC drivers for popular databases such as Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, Oracle, MySQL and PostgreSQL. Actual also develops file conversion utilities to integrate Macintosh applications with their Windows counterparts, and Mac OS X applications for managing database servers and manipulating data.
REALbasic is a full-featured software development environment suited to creating all kinds of applications, from utilities to enterprise-class applications. REALbasic Standard Edition for Windows or Mac is priced at $200. REALbasic for Linux Standard Edition is offered for free. REALbasic Professional Edition, required for cross-platform deployment, is $500. REALbasic is available now and can be downloaded directly from REAL Software at www.realsoftware.com/download.
About REAL Software
REAL Software provides REALbasic, Cross-Platform That Really Works, for people who want to create and deliver cross-platform software for Windows, Macintosh and Linux. REALbasic is highly compatible with Visual Basic and includes a utility to help migrate Visual Basic applications cross-platform to Macintosh and Linux. REAL Software was founded in 1996 and is based in Austin, Texas. For more information visit www.realsoftware.com or call 512.328.7325.
©2007 REAL Software, Incorporated. REAL Software, REALbasic and the REAL Software cube logo are registered trademarks of REAL Software, Inc. All other names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders in the United States and other countries.